2022: A year of self discovery and self reflection

“Every day, life teaches us a lesson. Sometimes we become aware, but many go unnoticed”. The year 2022 was a rollercoaster of emotions and lessons learned.

My experiences are distilled into ten succinct takeaways that are worth sharing and reflecting on.

 

1.      Importance of reflecting on loved ones 

         Start your day and end it with thoughts about your loved ones. Their significance in shaping your life and expressing your gratitude for their presence. It can bring you a sense of comfort, love, and positivity to your day and even transcend into a greater sense of well-being and happiness.

 

2.       Manifest your dreams into reality

                As the saying goes, ‘The universe conspires’. Every day with positive affirmations and manifestation techniques, we can unlock the energy in ourselves and it attracts you to your dream goal. Baudouin Technique helped me to clearly visualize my dreams and achieve them. This helped to shift my mindset and focus on my goals. However, we need to take action and work towards our goals, not just manifestation. 

 

3.       Procrastination is a silent killer

          We all procrastinate. I found apathy, fear of failure, and distraction as the 3 main reasons for my procrastination. My undue worry about failure delayed me from taking an exam by 6 months.
A quick five-minute glance at my phone often spirals into hour-long scrolling through social media feeds and other app notifications. This leads to procrastinating on things that really matter.

Apathy toward some people, work, and events led to procrastination and avoidance of such occurrences.

After exiting from all the social media platforms, I feel less distracted. 

Fear of failure may persist, but we can quickly overcome it if we rely on wisdom rather than emotions.


4.       Embrace Minimalism

It was a late realization that our “constant yearning for more” extends beyond material possessions and into all aspects of our lives. We often overlook the blessings we have, such as a steady source of income to feed ourselves and our family, good health, a roof over our heads, and a supportive friend. The adage ‘A contented mind is a continual feast’ reminds me that true happiness lies in appreciating what we have, not in acquiring more.” 

            This doesn’t imply you should not dream big or strive for improving your quality of life, but not by sacrificing your happiness in the process. 


5.       Worry is the greatest adversary

                “A day of worry is more exhausting than a week of work.” This quote from john Lubbock had a profound impact on my outlook on life. I always felt drained not due to work pressure but rather from worrying about various aspects of life such as finances, job security, health, and relationships. It would rob me of my peace of mind, without necessarily solving future problems.

Now, instead of worrying I focus on what I am doing. By doing so, I find the quality of my work has improved, and I feel happier and less tired. 


6.    Everything in this universe is transient

               Everything that we love will perish one day. The fast-paced and competitive nature of society often entraps us into the vicious circle of criticizing and blaming others, but it is high time that we start appreciating the beauty and value in others’ lives. After all, we are all fleeting moments in the grand scheme of things.


7.   Mindfulness is the greatest skill

               A lack of mindfulness has led to the feeling of being mediocre. At work, I get distracted by the thoughts of job security and comparison to my peers. This distraction follows me even into my personal life where I think about finances and work while spending time with family & thinking about friends and loved ones while doing exercises. Like this, it creates a circle of never-ending worry and inefficiency.

               Jon Kabut Zinn says, “You can’t control the waves, but you can learn to swim”.  After trying Mindful meditation practices, it helps me be aware and return to the present moment faster.   It helps to be more mindful and thereby improves the quality of life, relationships, and productivity at work. Don’t you think that is what ultimately, we all want to achieve in life?


8. Asking for help is the ultimate act of courage

               Reaching out for support when you need it shows that you are aware of your limitations and willing to take steps to address them. It is time to break the stigma surrounding the act of asking for help and replace it with empathy and understanding.

               This year I have sought assistance more than ever before, seeking out people to listen to my anxieties and insecurities. While some may have ignored my requests, others have provided invaluable support and wisdom during difficult times. I am happy that I could also help a few when they really needed moral support.

               It is important to remember to ask for help when it is needed, but only after putting in one’s full effort.


9. Ignore those who couldn’t value your presence

               In our lives, we will encounter people who don’t value our presence. That occurs in the family, workplace, and in your peer groups. Instead of lamenting and criticizing these individuals, focus on ourselves and our own goals. Those who truly value us will come into our lives naturally.

               Everyone we meet in life serves a purpose, whether as a blessing or a lesson.


10. Stop worrying about what others think of you

               It is essential to prioritize our own interests, passion, likes, and dislikes rather than concerning ourselves with what others might think. We should never measure our success with others’ yardsticks and vice versa. That is the pinnacle of happiness. When we prioritize the thoughts and opinions of those around us over our own, we may find ourselves unable to pursue the things that truly matter to us. I have observed many people have been trapped in this mindset for years, finding it difficult to break out from that shell.

               However, it is important to consider the perspective of others and also to not fear criticism or negative perceptions to prevent us from expressing ourselves and speaking up when necessary.

    

     The above revelations helped me to embrace the idea of being a “Work in Progress”. This opened up my life to the willingness to learn and grow, with the hope that this would lead to greater happiness and fulfillment. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

POBITORA - Pride of India

Contemplation

Memories - Days with my brother